LVM vs kernel.org - VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2, 0)

Brown, Len len.brown at intel.com
Fri Oct 1 18:10:21 UTC 2004

As of FC3-T2 and RHEL4-Beta1, my kernel.org kernels
no longer boot on Red Hat systems.

Looks like root is now owned by LVM.  So I
added a bunch of LVM type thingies to my .config (below)
but apparently it isn't that simple.

Can anybody tell me how to
A. make RH stop using LVM and work like it did before?
or
B. make kernel.org kernels understand RH installations?

Sorry if I missed a big news flash, I'll happily RTFM
if somebody can point me to it.

thanks,
-Len

----------
md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
md: autorun ...
md: ... autorun DONE.
Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
VFS: Cannot open root device "VolGroup00/LogVol00" or unknown-block(2,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(2,0)
-----------------
#
# Multi-device support (RAID and LVM)