Udev and fstab - beginners question

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Sun Oct 3 12:22:33 UTC 2004

Just clearing up a few things (i hope)

-hotplug is responsible for detecting that something new has been
plugged in (through a kernel-interface?), and loading the appropiate
module
-udev is responsible for creating devices when the module has been
loaded
-hal is responsible for creating the mountpoints in fstab, and by
default uses "user" in /etc/fstab for removable media
-gamin (or has dbusanything to do with this?) detects the change in
/etc/fstab and notifyes
-gnome-volume-manager, which should then show the new mountpoints, and
if set to do so, mount them (this is default)

do a cat of /etc/fstab before and after you have hotplugged it.

do also sit in vt1 when you plug it in, and watch the messages.

have you updated hal? It is running? Is your device a
mass-storage-device?

Possibly you should file a bug at component "hal"