Pam problem

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Sun Oct 3 17:03:51 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 17:20 +0100, Paul wrote:

> Version 1.
>
> User 1 logs in, uses xmms, logs out
> User 2 logs in, xmms reports soundcard blocked
>
> Version 2.
>
> User 1 logs in, uses xmms, logs into a couple of consoles (use
> bittorrent, do an update and something else). Logs out
> User 2 logs in, xmms reports soundcard blocked.
>
> What should happen is for version 1, user 2 should gain control over the
> soundcard.

Absolutely.  If User 2 doesn't gain control that's a bug.  Can you be
sure that /var/run/console/console.lock doesn't exist after User 1 logs
out?

> Not sure what should happen for version 2, but I think once
> user 1 has logged out of the X session, then user 2 should gain
> permission.

Yes, I think it would be best if user 2 gained permission as well, but
unless the device supports hardware mixing you're going to lose anyways.
In this case you need a sound server.  But if you do have hardware
mixing one nicer way to do this might be to modify pam_console to use
ACLs on the devices instead of changing ownership.