FAQ, GNOME menus, first questions

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Oct 5 20:16:37 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 07:33 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Did you come from FC2, FC1 or from an RHL release. You probably already
> experienced the alsa settings are minimum volume and minimum other
> controls at boot.

I still have a desktop box on FC1, and my notebook was FC2 until the
hard drive died (which is why I decided to install FC3-T2 now). I used
RHL extensively from 7.3 through 9, and sparingly before then. However,
95% of my experience was in text-mode servers with no X installed.

I have noticed that the volume settings are turned down. However,
turning it up does not make the sound work on my T23 any more (it did on
FC2). I'll play with it a little, then post a more useful note about it.

> You can drag and drop items from one panel to the other. Then you can
> remove the panel you do not desire.

Thanks; fixed it to my satisfaction now. Being able to move things
between the two panels is a Very Cool Feature. Congrats to the devel
team for that kind of thing.

> Welcome to the testing environment. It is a little bit different than
> the fedora-list. I think most posting preferences are fairly the same.
> Most questions are about the problems with test release candidates and
> not as much about how to setup features.

I expected lots of differences, so that's OK. I fully intend to become a
useful testing member of this community, but I have to be able to get
some work done and get the machine functioning well before I can
concentrate on helping find and test problems. <grin> Must earn a living
using this computer, too.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>