yum with FC3-test2

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 5 23:42:26 UTC 2004

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 October 2004 15:49, Todd Chambery wrote:
>

>>I just installed FC3-test2 last night and did a "full" up2date this
>>morning (8am EST).  I rebooted and everything seems kosher.
>

> I just ran "yum update".on my FC3-test2 system
> This downloaded about 400 headers
> (have there really been that number of updates since FC3t2 came out?).
> It then downloaded about 390 rpms,
> and exited with the message that it could not find the remaining 10 rpms.
>
> I should say that I am using the yum.conf that came with FC3t2.,
> so that - if I understand correctly - the only repository searched is
> [development]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/$basearch/
>
> In any case, I then ran "yum update" again,
> and it started to download the 390 rpms again,
> despite the fact that they are all present in /var/cache/yum/development .
>
> Does yum not check to see if it already has rpms?
> If not, is there any way to stop it downloading them all again?
>
> Also, should I use a mirror in place of the URL above?

Mirrors are better choices. The main server usually errors out because
of a heavy load from a lot of users. A good mirror should work much more
reliably.

The downloading of headers was covered in earlier postings. I believe
that the discussion talked about which is downloaded and what is only
compared.

Did you get X to work better for you?

--
"If I have trouble installing Linux, something is wrong. Very wrong."

	- Linus Torvalds