abandoning FC3-T2

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Thu Oct 7 07:07:32 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 18:45 -0700, joelbryanster juliano wrote:
> Hey, I've installed five FC3T2 on our University server, that is used
> by over 3000 PCs as a DHCP, SQUID, Firewall, Zebra Router, and a
> Gateway.............. If this doesn't work, I'm srewed man...
>
> I've replaced Windows 2003, for FC3T2...  And I'm not complaining..........
May I just echo the previous two statements and add a barmy to the list?

What on earth possessed you to run a Test Release on a production
server, that is under, I would assume, high load?

So far, we have had several updates that screw the file systems
(kernel), another updated that seriously pooched (at first glance)
booting up at all.

There are numerous other upgrades that have had more minor problems.

You REALLY should have used FC2, and IF, I mean IF you just HAD to have
some feature that was available in FC3T1/2/3, then uncomment the
development section of YUM, and then run yum install. With any luck
there are not too many dependencies.

However even this is not ideal.

May I suggest, nay, implore you to undoe your foolishness and put a
"Stable" system in your production environment.

FC3T 1 and 2 have been quite stable on release, BUT during the process
of updates and development it can become very unstable (note the
problems with file systems and booting).

Doug