NVIDIA with games experience....

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Thu Oct 7 11:12:22 UTC 2004

Gregory G Carter wrote:
> Type: glxinfo |more
>
> You should have a line that says at the top that says:
>
> "direct rendering: Yes"
>
> If it says no, then you have a problem with either an unsupported card
> or improper agpart support..etc
>
> One thing to note, 2.6.9 drm support for X DRI separates the chipset
> motherboard agp support from the video driver for the card hardware.
>
> Presumably to it easier for developers.
>
> However, then you have to add agpart load support at startup or directly
> compile the agpart support into the kernel, which is what I do.

If you are using Nvidia hardware, you need Nvidia's proprietary drivers,
which provide similar functionality for their hardware to what DRI/DRM
provides for ATI and other hardware.  Nvidia does not use DRI/DRM in
their drivers however, so DRI will never show up as enabled when using
Nvidia hardware.

Hope this helps.