production usage of test releases. (was abandoning FC3-T2)

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Fri Oct 8 16:44:30 UTC 2004

Jon Savage wrote:

>>So far, 1 got crushed on yum, so I've disabled updates service on the
>>remaining 4, I say this was a solid test release, and quite stable,
>>this was the 4th day running FC3T2, my only complain on FC2 (two) and
>>

>I prefer *not* to enable the nightly yum update feature on test
>releases, call me crazy but I prefer to read the rawhide reports & see
>a little list traffic prior to blindly upgrading  to
>whatevertheheckeatsbabiestoday(tm). The nightly update feature is neat
>for stable releases as far as workstations is concerned, dunno if I'd
>*ever* put it on a server though.

Absolutely, you should not run automatic updates.

Nothing About any release of Fedora should have nightly updates
available. Many times so far, the "Stable" releases have been broken
by updates. My FC2 at home is currently limping along using KDE since
gtk2 and xorg were "updated".

I knew Fedora was a cutting edge distribution, but so far it has been
more an adventure. Ever since RH 8.0, Quality Assurance has gone down
hill on the entire desktop line of RH distributions. That said, I still
prefer to
use Fedora over the other distributions I have tried. On my Fedora
machine at work, I don't upgrade anything until I have tested it at home.

After RH 8.0 started breaking unexpectedly and RH 9 seemed to break
different things on a regular basis after using up2date, I have had to use
a test machine to make sure that "Stable" releases work.

This is not an attack, it is advise about not using automatic updates on
anything that needs to work on a regular basis. I expect that some
wieners won't be able to resist flaming this post, but who cares they'll
still be wieners and it doesn't make my points any less true.

--
Guy Fraser