production usage of test releases. (was abandoning FC3-T2)

Jon Savage jonathansavage at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 23:43:58 UTC 2004

> I knew Fedora was a cutting edge distribution, but so far it has been
> more an adventure. Ever since RH 8.0, Quality Assurance has gone down
> hill on the entire desktop line of RH distributions. That said, I still
> prefer to
> use Fedora over the other distributions I have tried. On my Fedora
> machine at work, I don't upgrade anything until I have tested it at home.

Actually I've experienced *no* significant problems with either of the
stable fedora releases.
My primary workstation @ home & one of our business laptops are quite
happily running w/ nightly yum updates enabled. The other business
laptop is currently running FC3 T2 and has suffered remarkably little
borkage thus far, in fact I do the greater part of my work on it (back
up anything that I care about daily though). For obvious reasons I
have nightly yum disabled on this machine though. This works out well
for me since using core X test X on a daily basis for my day-to-day
tasks ensures that I am both well informed of any  migration issues /
changes, pitfalls etc. and adaquately test the stuff I care about and
need to have working if I wish to continue to use fedora moving
forward.

I co-administer a *herd* of win 2K servers @ my day job & we *never*
apply any patches to the production servers w/o testing on a dev
server first. That is, IMHO, a best practice that applies to any
mission critical machine whether it is a workstation or server
completely independent of OS.

--
Bests,
Jon