fstab seems to be broken - I think

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sun Oct 10 11:57:10 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm whittling down the reason why I was getting a conflict and I think
fstab is broken.

Here's why

When I originally did the install of FC3t2 (to a fresh drive), I
partitioned it so that /usr was nice and big and /home was not so big.
The install was happy, no problems with my hardware and everything was
good.

I did a restart and set up user paul, logged in, and created users bev
and richard - each had the same UID and GID as before the reinstall.

Next up, I altered fstab so that my other drives would be mounted (they
had been disconnected on the install). Rebooted and found that there was
a conflict between the original /home and /dev/hdb1 which contained the
original /home directory (i.e. the ones used prior to the reinstall).
When a user logged in, they first had the default FC3t2 smoke on black
setup (the one found on /dev/hda2). The user is unable to log out
correctly and so has to use ctrl-backspace. The next time they log in,
they have the version which is on /dev/hdb1.

To test is there is a conflict, I edited fstab so that /dev/hdb1 is not
mounted at all, rebooted, renamed /home to /home-original, edited fstab
so that /dev/hdb1 is auto mounted on bootup and rebooted.

When I get to gdm, if I login as myself, I'm told that /home/paul
doesn't exist. I changed to tty1, logged in as paul, su and then
ls /home. Nothing was there. I then did a mount /dev/hdb1 /home,
ls /home and the home directories are there.

To me, that looks like fstab is broken (or at least partially bust). Can
someone confirm that the line I have in /etc/fstab for auto mounting the
drive is correct before I log this into bugzilla?

/dev/hdb1  /home   ext3  noauto,user,exec,kudzu 0 0

The oddest thing though is that my other drives are mounting correctly,
just not /home.

TTFN

Paul
--
Homer: Donut?
Lisa: No, thanks. Do you have any fruit?