After rebooting FCt2 /etcfstab is restored

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Oct 11 00:20:33 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 02:45:29PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> ... but if you
> bothered to look a bit at the software you would find that fstab-sync is
> only modifying /etc/fstab entries that has the 'managed' or 'kudzu'
> keyword.

That would be nice but so far my experiments do not confirm that.
I mean that entries you mention indeed were not touched.  The
problem is that new entries, referencing the same devices but
with a higher numbered mount points showed up.  Not so great.

As I understand that this is still in flux I am still waiting
how this really end up before starting specific complaints.

> That's not really different from updfstab.

The difference is that updfstab was not trying hard to work around
me and was not reaching beyond removable media.

> Control of what entries added to fstab-sync will get added to Rawhide
> very soon. I'll post a mail to fedora-devel when it is in.

Thanks.  That is what I am waiting for.  Also a "no surprises"
default behaviour would be desirable and at least some documetation.

> > File a bug in bugzilla.  Complaining on this list has a very
> > limited impact.
>
> Constructive mails to this list doesn't have a very limited impact.

If they will get noticed by corresponding developers and if they
will be deemed "constructive". :-)  OTOH Mike Harris, for example,
has an "If it is not in bugzilla then it Does Not Exist" matra of a
very long standing.

   Michal