After rebooting FCt2 /etcfstab is restored

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Oct 11 01:43:29 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 18:20 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 02:45:29PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > ... but if you
> > bothered to look a bit at the software you would find that fstab-sync is
> > only modifying /etc/fstab entries that has the 'managed' or 'kudzu'
> > keyword.
>
> That would be nice but so far my experiments do not confirm that.
> I mean that entries you mention indeed were not touched.  The
> problem is that new entries, referencing the same devices but
> with a higher numbered mount points showed up.  Not so great.

If you're really seeing this it is a bug and should be reported in
bugzilla.

> As I understand that this is still in flux I am still waiting
> how this really end up before starting specific complaints.

OK.

> > That's not really different from updfstab.
>
> The difference is that updfstab was not trying hard to work around
> me and was not reaching beyond removable media.

Right - I mean, you raised an important issue in that bug, thanks btw,
and work is underway to fix that. Another element is that it is also
desirable to make people use their hardware without knowing how to use a
command line.

But security, of course, must come first.

> > Control of what entries added to fstab-sync will get added to Rawhide
> > very soon. I'll post a mail to fedora-devel when it is in.
>
> Thanks.  That is what I am waiting for.  Also a "no surprises"
> default behaviour would be desirable and at least some documetation.

There will be both a sane default behavior and plenty of documentation.
As said earlier, I'll raise the defaults on the fedora-devel mailing
list for (security) review.

> > > File a bug in bugzilla.  Complaining on this list has a very
> > > limited impact.
> >
> > Constructive mails to this list doesn't have a very limited impact.
>
> If they will get noticed by corresponding developers and if they
> will be deemed "constructive". :-)

Indeed :-)

> OTOH Mike Harris, for example,
> has an "If it is not in bugzilla then it Does Not Exist" matra of a
> very long standing.

Well, yeah - fortunately, however, there are several shades of gray.
Otherwise we wouldn't really have fedora-test-list.

Thanks,
David