Gnome issues

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 16:55:43 UTC 2004

gnome seems to deadlock this morning when trying to log in. It said
that some gnome daemon could not start, but pressing either CANCEL or
OK to report to the developers just halted the box. Had to kill bonobo
and a lot of related processes by hand to get the user account to
open. Am using xfce at the moment because of this.

<rant please ignore>
Ok first off.. I am guessing that the Red Hat Desktop initiative of
choosing the best of breed seems to have gone to the wayside with
epiphany over firefox. At one time there was a lot of talk about
getting the best package in place whether it was KDE, GNOME, or
independant onto the desktop.. and I believed and defended it against
a lot of people who said it was just a ploy. I was kind of perturbed
that the original desktop had no KDE items listed on it even though
several items (HTML editor) were better than naything GNOME had.
However, getting epiphany as the default browser is kind of the icing
on the cake for me right now.. It might have promise.. but now I am
back to having 2+ browsers installed on my system when Firefox was
doing just nicely.

Crusty old man going off to delete epiphany and change various default
settings so that I can get my work web-pages again. [And no they are
not going to add epiphany/konqueror/etc/etc to the list of working
browsers.. getting them to support Mozilla was a big enough change
from Netscape 4.2 and Microsoft IE]
</rant>

--
Stephen J Smoogen.