Smaller /boot?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Oct 13 01:19:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 07:40:51PM -0400, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
>   Smooge has shed some possible light on the history of why, but I think
> it would be wise to leave it as is.  At least with the DECPHQ (heh)
> Alpha, the 64 bit binaries were *much* larger.

Well, not that much after all.

/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-1.607smp for x86_64 is 1572760 bytes long.
A size of initrd mostly depens on how many modules you are using
and which ones.  Say roughly of the same size a your vmlinuz
but usually quite a bit smaller.  So you are planning for some
30 or 40 of such pairs.  Seem to be a bit excessive.

Oh, if you are using a journaled file system for a separate
partion of /boot then you will loose some space for a journal
overhead but on such small and static file system there is not
much point of setting up a journal.  On Alpha I have/had usually
a big pile of kernels in various development stages and never
used /boot that big. 30 Megs was always a plenty. With aboot
you can set only up to ten labels in aboot.conf anyway. :-)

   Michal