FC3-Test3 + NVIDIA-6111 driver

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu
Fri Oct 15 18:06:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 10:43 -0700, Hardy Merrill wrote:
> Comments below.
>
> --- Ricardo Veguilla <veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 09:27 -0700, Hardy Merrill
> > wrote:
> > > Good info, but even this sounds like a hack.
> > >

> > well, its a work-around.
> >
> > > Can we expect a "standard" fix to this issue at
> > some
> > > point?  I only took a quick look at Harald's udev
> > info
> > > - is Harald's "udev" stuff *the* standard fix, or
> > will
> > > there be something else upcoming that is more
> > > standard?
> > >

> > A "standard" fix to which issue? You seem to be
> > talking about the udev
> > device module handling changes, right?
>
> A standard fix to the problem of the boot hanging when
> trying to bring up X after the NVidia driver is
> installed.  The udev stuff is a workaround for this
> isn't it?  I could be wrong - I really haven't read
> much of it yet.
>
> Hardy

Ok, no, Harald's fix is a workaround to the loss of module auto-loading
(when accessing a /dev/*) which resulted from the change to udev (udev
should create the /dev/* files and load the modules corresponding to the
hardware currently in the system).

As far as I know, there is no official fix for the problem(s) of
"newest kernel" + "nvidia 6111" = not working.

Regards,
--
Ricardo Veguilla <veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu>