Minimal install of FC3

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Oct 18 22:02:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 19:19 +0200, Matias Féliciano wrote:
> $ rpm -q redhat-lsb
> package redhat-lsb is not installed
>
> Ooops
>
> Seems you can remove it if you don't need it.

<grin> Yes, I know I *can* remove it since it contains almost nothing
but dependencies required, and that by removing it I also gain the
ability to remove another two-dozen packages that I'd like to deep-six.

The question is, *why* is redhat-lsb there, and whose good intentions am
I trashing by removing it? What are the consequences, possible harm,
etc. of not being LSB-conformant?

If I'm going to publish a HOWTO that suggests doing this (and my HOWTO's
are getting over 2,000 unique visitors per month), I want to be damn
sure that what I remove does not later turn out to be valuable one way
or another.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>