Evolution URL Opening

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Tue Oct 19 14:56:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 10:30 -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 17:31 -0400, Brian Craft wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 16:52 -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> > > Anyone else lost the functionality of clicking a URL in Evolution and
> > > having it open the link in the browser?  Clicking on a link fails with
> > > evolution-2.0.2-1 under FC3/rawhide but works under FC2 with same
> > > Evolution-from-rawhide version, both under KDE.  Can still right-click
> > > the link, select "Copy Link Location", and open via Klipper.  Can't find
> > > anything on this in Bugzilla or list archive.  Not sure if I should file
> > > a bug (could still be a user-configuration problem - haven't yet tried
> > > as a different user), or under what component.
> > >
> > > Phil
> > >

> > I'm able to click on hyperlinks with no problems using Evolution 2.0.2-1
> > and Firefox 0.10.1 on FC3 Test 3 as a user....under GNOME 2.8.
> >
> > Have you tried it under GNOME to see if this is a problem with KDE?
>
> On further investigation, seems to be a user configuration error.
> Logged in (well, "su - newuser") as a new "generic" user under the same
> KDE session that won't open links in "my" Evolution, ran Evolution as
> the new user, and both http:// and https:// links work.  Apparently not
> a KDE problem.  Have checked everything I can think of in my user
> configuration and am at a loss as to where the "missing link" may be.
> Haven't tried under GNOME yet, but will do.  Under
> FC2/KDE/evolution-2.0.2-1 with - as far as I can see - the same user
> configuration (copied .evolution .gconf and .gconfd, from FC3T3 machine)
> hyperlinks work.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.  Still don't know if this belongs in
> Bugzilla, or under "Well, Duhhhh..." as my 7-year-old would say.

IIRC, internally, Evolution calls gnome_url_show when you click on a
link; this looks up a handler for the URL from gconf, and invokes a
program accordingly.  Copying the .gconf files might not be enough to
affect the world that Evolution sees since the daemon might be using old
data; it's often a good idea to run gconf-editor and investigate, this
should show the same data that Evolution "sees".

Have a look at the keys /desktop/gnome/url_handlers/http[s]

Hopefully that will clear things up; if you still think there's a bug,
the please do file it in Bugzilla.

Dave