Folding at Home (what is this?)

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Oct 22 15:34:35 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 09:48 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I'm currently running seti, but the
> replacement for seti, called boinc (and I forget exectly what that
> acronym stands for), [...]

Err... "Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing"? Dunno,
really, but likely close enough.

> Its also doing various areas of medical research, but isn't limited to
> that only.  Both would seem to be projects that have potential for
> the betterment of mankind whereas seti is basicly an itch scratcher.

I'd much rather run BOINC, really. The Berkeley people developed quite a
bit of experience with the setiathome project which will be useful in
developing a better client and a better model to do this. And the
setiathome client never bothered me a bit, even running on servers... it
had the good sense to know that if it didn't run and hide when something
else wanted CPU, I was going to kill it dead. <grin>

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>