Awesome job

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Fri Oct 22 21:32:21 UTC 2004

fre, 22.10.2004 kl. 22.42 skrev Michal Jaegermann:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 10:03:30PM +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> > And even better - it *magically* goes away when you pull it out (nice to
> > know if you have stupid users...)
>
> I am not so sure if you will be so pleased if your _data_ will also
> *magically* go away if you were writing to this stick and pulled it
> out without unmounting it first.  You may also end up with a
> corrupted file system on that stick for additional attractions.
> In case you do not know 'umount' is flushing buffers.  If you were
> not writing to removable media then most likely nothing bad will
> happen.

I know. But these mostly come from the windows world, and if you say
"mount" to them (even the geekier ones), they look at you as you just
landed from mars.

But they (hopfully) know too "not pull it out when it is blinking", and
if they still do and the memplug become wastebasket-ready (or acctually
just need a reformat, bu to them, a reformat is what they get the
neighbouthood geek to do when they windows pc has gone to hell. (i am
utterly conviced that windows pc's that die go to hell, not heaven...))
- that is not my problem. But it would be my problem if the next user
(given that nobody pushed "reboot" in the meantime) could not mount
his/her usb-thingy, 'cus some other stupid idiot didn't know how to
"unmount".

Its mountet sync anyway. (data get written imediatly)

> I was already pondering a bit to myself some time ago if encouraging
> an uninformed behaviour is such great move.  Unfortunately only CDs
> are locking drive doors and those are really safe here.  A long time
> ago a floppy on a NeXT machine would not allow you to grab a mounted
> floppy other than with a help of a straightened paper clip. :-)

You know what? I would *love* that. Think old mac's had it as well. You
would just drag the little floppy to the wastebasket, and a moment
later, it would come out all by itself...

Now if only the "eject" button on the cd-rom could tell dbus to tell
gnome-volume-manager to umount and eject...

Kyrre