Folding at Home (what is this?)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Oct 22 22:25:03 UTC 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 15:02, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
>fre, 22.10.2004 kl. 15.48 skrev Gene Heskett:

>> >Hmmm:
>> > Folding.  Is this like an origami party?  Or perhaps an envelope
>> > stuffing afair?
>> >
>> > Home.  Whose? Why? Where? When?
>> >
>> >Hee, hee, hee says he while ducking the tomatoes.
>> >
>> >Tom
>>
>> Its a program to study how proteins fold as they combine to make
>> the end products chemically.  It has quite far reaching
>> implications in the development of new drugs.  Such research
>> requires the sort of processing power thats only available from
>> the organisational aspect of something like setiathome.  I'm
>> currently running seti, but the replacement for seti, called boinc
>> (and I forget exectly what that acronym stands for), I will
>> probably convert to when seti runs down. Its also doing various
>> areas of medical research, but isn't limited to that only.  Both
>> would seem to be projects that have potential for the betterment
>> of mankind whereas seti is basicly an itch scratcher.
>
>Who gets the benifit of this research?
>Anybody-who-wants-to-download-the-result, or some multi-billion
>pharmaneutical reseach company that will use it only for own profit?

That was, (std disclaimer here) the last I read, still up in the air.
Being a bit paranoid, if there are profits to be made from something
my machine helps to discover, it only seems right that I should get a
pittance for the electric bill or better yet, a royalty check from
time to time.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)