The Synaptics Touchpad Drivers in Fedora Core 3t3

Jeffrey D. Yuille jeffy5 at optonline.net
Fri Oct 22 23:44:40 UTC 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 11:52 am, Per Bjornsson wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 04:43, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> > >
> > > Try this:
> >
> > Update rhpl and system-config-display to latest in rawhide first, but
> >
> > essentially yes this should work:
> > > system-config-display --reconfig
>
> This isn't actually supposed to let me set what features to use on the
> touchpad, is it? I mean, after doing this, I get tap-to-click, edge
> scrolling and working scroll buttons ('mouse wheel' equivalent).
> However, not everyone wants all the features - e.g. i've been
> considering whether it wouldn't be more convenient to use the scroll
> buttons as middle mouse button since I can just use edge-scroll instead,
> and I know some people who absolutely detest tap-to-click (although I
> personally hate using a touchpad without it). So some kind of
> feature-configuration interface would certainly be nice. (I guess it
> would best be integrated in system-config-mouse?) FC4 material in all
> likelihood, thanks a lot for getting the touchpads working sanely in any
> case!
>
> /Per
>
> --
> Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
> Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University
Okay,

     I am new to Fedora Core.  I don't know what it means to "Update rhpl and
system -config-display to the latest Rawhide.   I have a Dell Inspiron 4000
with a Synaptics Touchpad.  It would seem to me that it would make more sense
to include configuration of the pointing device within the Start Menu-System
Settings, or at least during the initial installation.