nVidia driver

Joel Rittvo JoelOnLinux at perfect-flight.com
Sat Oct 23 10:15:14 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 10:24 +0100, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > Anyone know how to compile the nVidia module?
> >
> > Check http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-October/msg01758.html
>
> Downloaded the rpms and get the follow 2 errors when trying to
> install...
>
> error: failed dependencies
>
> /dev/MAKEDEV is needed by nvidia-glx
> /etc/makedev.d/linux-2.4.x is needed by nvidia-glx
>
> Now, /dev/MAKEDEV is definately there and why there should be a
> linux-2.4.x directory for an FC2 package is anyones guess. Manually
> adding the directory doesn't work either.
>
> Is there a version of the rpms anywhere for the current kernel version
> or do I need to grab the SRPMs from livna and compile it myself?
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul

I just finished going through all this, including exactly that question.
I installed the Livna nvidia-glx rpm with --nodeps and it worked ok, so
it really doesn't have those dependencies.  Be warned that the Livna
package installs an "nvidia" startup script that runs at level 5 and 3
(!) that among other things modifies your xorg.conf file every time you
start when it finds an nvidia kernel module present, making it
impossible to easily switch from the nvidia driver to the nv driver.  I
stopped the service from starting and now I can control xorg.conf
myself.  There were other perils along the way, but after about 2 hours,
I can now switch quickly and cleanly from the nv driver to the nvidia
driver and back, and glx is running both ways (never had that before)
although it is faster obviously with the nvidia driver and associated
files.

If I knew how involved this would get, I would not have bothered, and I
would have waited until Livna issues new, clean packages after the dust
settles from a released FC3, but if you want to tough it out, send me an
email directly and I'll share some notes and such, after I wake up.  I'm
off to sleep for a few hours.

Joel
--
Joel Rittvo <JoelOnLinux at perfect-flight.com>