warning to list

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Mon Oct 25 16:08:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 10:06, Matias Féliciano wrote:

[snip]

> Please... I not chose to *ignore* those warnings.
> You are ignoring that using a test release is the _best_ way to test it
> and be fully happy with the finale release when it's out. The point is
> not to be happy with a test release but with the finale release.
>
> The propose of test release can be see as :
> - find stupid boys (like me), or girls, which use test release and file
> bug report.
> - provide some support (bugfix, mailing, etc) to not make it a total
> disaster.

  Well, I suppose that's an okay way of looking at it, but methinks you
need to make up your mind.  Are you ignoring the warnings not to use
this on a 'critical' system, or is your desktop that you have it
installed on *not* a critical system.  Can't have it both ways.
  I was about to say that this has strayed far off topic, but adopting
good testing practices seems pretty on topic for fedora-test-list.
  It is true that the best way to test it is to use it.  I think that's
pretty much a given.  And it's fine, and actually encouraged for testers
to use it on a desktop they use on a regular basis.  But rely on it to
be secure or stable and developers will probably point and laugh at
you.  And justifiably so.  Of course they'll want to hear about security
problems and other bugs.  After all, that's the whole point.  But if a
test release eats your critical data for which you have no backups, or
messes up your desktop so bad that your late on a project at work, no
one is going to have any sympathy for you. Put it on a server serving
hundreds or thousands of users who are not willing testers and
developers will call you insane.
  I apologize if I seem a bit antagonistic about this.  It's just that I
see it as pretty important that people understand what testing means:
that your data may get eaten alive and no one will be able to save you
from that.  That's at least partially what's meant when Red Hat says not
to use it on critical systems.
  And it's also important to understand what the Fedora Project is and
how it differs from RHEL.  RHEL *absolutely* *will* receive more
attention from Red Hat than Fedora Core.  RHEL is the money maker.
Fedora Core is the proving grounds.  That's the bottom line.  At least,
that's how I see it.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator