Netapplet

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Tue Oct 26 16:24:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 11:02 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:

> There is an argument for having a menu item "open config info" that
> launches system-config-network if you have static IP configuration for a
> card, but the fact of static IP is that you aren't supposed to change it
> that often.  So if you don't change it that often, why have an entry for
> it in the menu?  When we get dialup support, there might be an argument
> for having a configure item for those, however.

This is a (relatively) common use case for me.  I often need to connect
my laptop to ad-hoc networks which do not have DHCP, hence I need to
configure a static address, and static routes.  Currently I do this
through the command-line, but it would be nice to do it using the GUI.

I understand that I am in a very small minority here, but this would be
useful for people in a Field Engineer type role.

Thanks,

Keith.