Synaptics touch pad not working to fullest on FC2 to FC3T3 upgrade

Kim Lux (Mr.) lux at diesel-research.com
Wed Oct 27 16:37:07 UTC 2004

My HP7280 has a Synaptics touchpad as verified in both Windows XP and
Linux.

I've read in the list of an enhanced functionality driver for this
touchpad, ie includes working scrollbar.  The scroll bar on mine does
not work.  Touch tapping does work and it did not in FC2.

Furthermore, I am operating with a USB wireless optical mouse and the
touchpad.  Only one device, ie "Mouse" is displayed in Start-
>ControlCenter->Peripherals->Mouse.  The touchpad does respond to the
changes made in the "Mouse" settings, but so does the optical mouse.
There is no way to turn the tap select or scrolling on or off.

Questions:

Should a second device ie "Touchpad" appear in this list ?

Why doesn't my touchpad have scrolling like the others are talking
about ?

Thanks.

Info to follow:

$/sbin/lsmod: doesn't show anything about Synaptics, mouse or touchpad.

hwbrowser: Pointing devices shows 2 items: Logitech Cordless Mouse and
SynPS/2 Synaptics Touchpad.

The Logitech uses driver genericwheelusb and is /dev/input/mice

The Synaptics uses driver synaptics and is /dev/input/mice

$cat /proc/bus/devices

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=ab41
N: Name="AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio0/input0
H: Handlers=kbd event0
B: EV=120013
B: KEY=4 2000000 3802078 f840d001 f2ffffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: MSC=10
B: LED=7

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0007 Version=0000
N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
H: Handlers=mouse0 event1
B: EV=b
B: KEY=6420 0 70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=11000003

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c505 Version=1711
N: Name="Logitech USB Receiver"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.0-2/input0
H: Handlers=kbd event2
B: EV=12000b
B: KEY=10000 7 ff800000 7ff febeffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: ABS=100 0
B: LED=fc1f

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c505 Version=1711
N: Name="Logitech USB Receiver"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.0-2/input1
H: Handlers=kbd mouse1 event3
B: EV=12000f
B: KEY=ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
ffffffff 0 0 1878 d800d100 1e0000 0 0 0
B: REL=103
B: ABS=100 0
B: LED=fc00