Volume Control not working

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Oct 27 17:36:08 UTC 2004

On 10/27/2004 07:15:29 AM, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> I admit being an advocate for the removal of the OSS control from
> gnome-volume-thingy, as it is just in the way for most people...
>
> Maybe it should simply have a check in a menu "use OSS"?

No - I think the proper solution is changes to the alsa mixer.
The surround sound stuff should be in a separate tab etc.

I think you were correct to object to both being there.

I did get it to work - under OSS just turning up pcm got it to work.
The alsa mixer also had a mute checkbox that didn't uncheck itself when
the mixer was turned up.

This is a bug. I will file a bug report when I get back from school.

>From the Help documentation -

"When you adjust the fader of a muted channel, GNOME Volume Control
deselects the Muteoption for that mixer."

(see the usage section)

The alsa-mixer did not do that, that was expected behaviour because
that is how it worked in the OSS mixer and what the documentation says
happens, but I had to actually uncheck the mute option to get sound.

As far as the interface - it needs to be cleaned. All the mixers should
not be in the same tab, that just makes it confusing. The UI to the
alsa mixer needs to be cleaned up - I don't have surround sound, I have
no need for all those 3D/surround sound options which are inbetween
options I do need - like master, pcm, and line.