Netapplet

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Oct 27 22:11:57 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 11:02 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:

> There is an argument for having a menu item "open config info" that
> launches system-config-network if you have static IP configuration for a
> card, but the fact of static IP is that you aren't supposed to change it
> that often.  So if you don't change it that often, why have an entry for
> it in the menu?  When we get dialup support, there might be an argument
> for having a configure item for those, however.

How do you handle the chance that I might regularly use wireless on two
networks, with a (different) static IP on each?  The same question
applies to wired networks, but probably less often.

I don't really want to change "my static addres" often.  But I do
occasionally get into the situation where the network has link (either
wired, or is associated with wireless), but doesn't receive an IP from
dhcp.  This happens for various reasons -- usually the dhcp server at
the coffee shop has crashed and none of the employees know where the WAP
is to reboot it ;)

It'd be nice to be able to specify these things.

One other issue is that, there's no effective way to use a local caching
nameserver, which is something I would prefer in many situations.  In
the ifcfg-eth* situation, we had the option of "PEERDNS=no", but we
don't really have that here, especially with the possibility of multiple
networks.

I'm not really sure what's the best option here -- ideally, there'd be a
way to set the dhcp-provided servers up as forwarders.  Maybe have
something like:

include "/etc/named-forwarders.conf"

in named.conf, and then write out something like:

zone "." IN {
        type forward;
        forward first;
        forwarders { 172.16.52.27; 172.16.52.28; };
};

Unfortunately, that probably needs some amount of configuration.

--
        Peter

"What is a magician but a practicing theorist?"
                -- Kenobi