Missing menu items after upgrade

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Thu Oct 28 01:47:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 02:03, Colin Walters wrote:

> We don't want a Programming menu in the default installation.
>
> >  Are we going to remove that menu
> > as well?
>
> No, if you install devhelp, etc it appears.

And will it be populated with an Emacs entry? I'm unclear now on whether
Emacs has .desktop file with NoDisplay=true in *all* installation
profiles, or only for the default Desktop one. If it is the former then
that is ridiculous, and if the latter needlessly baroque. The obvious
solution is not to install applications you don't want in the menu, but
if an application is installed it should have a menu entry.

> Maybe you could make the argument that emacs shouldn't be in the default
> install.  Dunno.  It would be one of the first things I'd install
> personally.

Yes, but you're not one of the users the desktop installation profile is
aimed at are you?

> I don't think there are very many people who haven't heard of Emacs
> before that would actually take the time to learn and use it from just
> clicking it in the menu.

That's not the point. How many other installed applications are also not
in the menu that someone might want to fire up out of curiosity?

Best, Darren