Reiserfs question

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Fri Oct 29 13:50:39 UTC 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:04, Tracy R Reed <treed at ultraviolet.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 09:47:11AM -0700, Per Bjornsson spake thusly:
> > not the least since Hans Reiser always actively tries to bad-mouth
> > changes going into it, since he wants people to focus on Reiser4.
>
> reiser3 is a stable production release. People shouldn't be making changes
> in it.

ext2 has been a stable production release for many years, but it has has XATTR
and SE Linux support added.  I don't think that there is any reason not to do
the same for ReiserFS.

New features can't wait for everyone to use new file systems.  Hans has
decided not to support XATTRs, and as a consequence of that people who want
to use SE Linux will make much less use of ReiserFS.  This also impacts the
ability of Red Hat to support ReiserFS.