Automatic mounting of USB drives...

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Oct 29 15:31:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 02:48:18PM -0400, John Burton wrote:
> Greetings!

> I have a 1.5GB USB drive (looks like an old cigarette lighter). It has 2
> partitions, both formatted as VFAT - have to communicate with Windows
> systems. The partitions were created under WindowsXP and have the labels
> "Common" & Backup" I plug it in to a USB port and it's recognized:

> But it does not mount them. I can manually mount them by doing a
> "mount /dev/sda1 /media/COMMON".
>
> Now, the question. What do I have to do to have the USB drive/partitions
> mounted automatically?

Other folks have given you several pointers, so I won't duplicate
them.

A warning, though. Auto-mount or not, make sure you umount them before
you pull the drive, lest you have file system corruption! I've found
that one way to remind users to umount drives is to require them to
manually mount them.