Urgent - Potential security hole.

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sat Oct 30 17:06:13 UTC 2004

On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 10:54:35AM -0500, Satish Balay wrote:

> If you ssh into FC3 (from a different machine with older ssh) - you
> can run firefox.  If you ssh from FC3 into any other machine - you
> need 'ssh -y' for it to work.

Actually this is '-Y' and not '-y' and this makes a difference. :-)

There is another problem, though. 'man ssh' says:

   X11 and TCP forwarding
     If the ForwardX11 variable is set to "yes" (or see the description of the
     -X and -x options described later) and the user is using X11 (the DISPLAY
     environment variable is set), the connection to the X11 display is auto-
     matically forwarded to the remote side in such a way that any X11 pro-
     grams started from the shell (or command) will go through the encrypted
     channel, and the connection to the real X server will be made from the
     local machine.

and not a peep about some '-Y'.  It is true that some other places
you can find some mentions about "trusted" but what "trusted" may
be is never really explained.

I guess that this is a bugzilla material.  I will try to check if
it is already there.

   Michal