Problem with today's "yum update"

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Sep 4 18:08:20 UTC 2004

On Saturday 04 September 2004 12:08, shrek-m at gmx.de wrote:
>yum -y update ; sleep 30s ; yum -y --obsolete update

Doesn't work here, its stuck on samba because libcups.so.2 is not an
rpm install.  Samba would probably work if I could tell yum to ignore
the deps on that one.  To get that to work, I'd have to reinstall the
rpms of a year+ old, badly broken cups build, so broken that just
hovering the mouse over a printer related item in the kde popups will
crash kde.  But crashing kde must seem like a good idea to
gnome-lover redhat, it hasn't been fixed yet.  Installing a later,
good version of cups fixes that unconditionally.

That also means I'm still stuck on yum-2.0.7

It also means I'm stuck for no really good reason as gftp, when
attempting to access the repo and grab this stuff anyway, needs a
fscking password other than anonymous.

Shame on redhat.  This stuff is supposedly under the GPL and should be
freely available.  Accessing ayo.freshrpms.net can be done with gftp,
but all files are zero length, before, and after, downloading them.

Humm, found a http site halfway around the planet that let me in and
got lots of that stuff.  Includeing rpms of the cups I have
installed.  So I'll shut up for a bit.  Maybe, just maybe, this will
get me up2date with current FC2 installs...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)