make yum.conf do a user ftp login for baseurl

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ollie.clive.ia.us
Sun Sep 5 18:28:25 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 12:48 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> ftp ftp://reader.local.net0  gives me:
>
>   [root at expfc cf]# ftp ftp://reader.local.net0
> ftp: ftp://reader.local.net0: Name or service not known
> [...]
> so its apparently a shortcoming of the standard ftp client.

Yes, the standard "ftp" client does not support URLs.

> But `ftp://reader:xxxxxx@reader.local.net0:~/no_bak/fedraw
> used as baseurl in yum.conf fails:

This is not a valid URL.  As you can see from the following example:

        >>> import urlparse
        >>> urlparse.urlparse('ftp://reader:xxxxxx@reader.local.net0:~/no_bak/fedraw')
        ('ftp', 'reader:xxxxxx at reader.local.net0:~', '/no_bak/fedraw', '', '', '')

Python is interpreting the '~' as part of the hostname, not as part of the path.  Try using something like:

ftp://reader:xxxxxx@reader.local.net0/home/no_bak/fedraw

Note that you should use the full path and not the '~' expansion.

Jeff Ollie