make yum.conf do a user ftp login for baseurl

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Sep 5 20:53:26 UTC 2004

"Jeffrey C. Ollie" <jeff at ollie.clive.ia.us> writes:

>> But `ftp://reader:xxxxxx@reader.local.net0:~/no_bak/fedraw
>> used as baseurl in yum.conf fails:
>
> This is not a valid URL.  As you can see from the following example:
>
>         >>> import urlparse
>         >>> urlparse.urlparse('ftp://reader:xxxxxx@reader.local.net0:~/no_bak/fedraw')
>         ('ftp', 'reader:xxxxxx at reader.local.net0:~', '/no_bak/fedraw', '', '', '')
>
> Python is interpreting the '~' as part of the hostname, not as part of the path.  Try using something like:
>
> ftp://reader:xxxxxx@reader.local.net0/home/no_bak/fedraw
>
> Note that you should use the full path and not the '~' expansion.

Ahh I see I've overlooked some stuff.

Trying your formula a connection is made so I see now that the url
scheme is supported by yum.  However I still get a failed to change
dir ftp error.

In this scheme:
 ftp://reader:xxxxx@reader.local.net0/home/reader/no_bak/fedraw
  (password obfuscated for mailing)
`fedraw' is actually a symlink to /mnt/pack/fedraw (Which is also
chowned reader:reader)

But I see from yum output that the address worked or at least the
address was seen correctly:

   yum list updates
  Yum Version: 2.1.3
  COMMAND: yum list updates
  Installroot: /
  Reading Local RPMDB
  Setting up Repo:  development
  Baseurl(s) for repo: ['ftp://reader:xxxxx7@reader.local.net0/home/reader/no_bak/fedraw']
  repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: [Errno ftp error] 550 Failed to change directory.
  Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: development
  [...]

So I thought maybe it was because of the symlink
But..
This scheme:
   ftp://reader:xxxxxx@reader.local.net0/mnt/pack/fedraw

Gets the same ftp error.

  Baseurl(s) for repo: ['ftp://reader:xxxxxx@reader.local.net0/mnt/pack/fedraw']
  repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: [Errno ftp error] 550 Failed to change directory.
  Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: development
  failure: repodata/repomd.xml from development: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to tr

I'm a little gun shy now calling this a yum problem.  Do you see
further bumbling on my part?