Another FC3test2 candidate tree

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 9 22:31:30 UTC 2004

Martin wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 21:08, Elliot Lee wrote:
>
>>The previous bug reports on the re0903.0 tree were very helpful -
>>here's another one to chew on:
>>
>>http://fedora.linux.duke.edu/FC3-re0908.0/
>>
>>(As before, I just started syncing it, so it will be a while. Please
>>make sure that any .iso's you download are dated today 2004-09-08 - the
>>old ones in place there are from yesterday and are known-broken.)
>>
>>Please see how it installs/runs if you get a chance.
>>-- Elliot

Just picking up from completing an upgrade from FC2 to the second test
release.
Downloading the first 4 isos worked fine. I downloaded then onto a usb
drive overnight. The problem came when trying to burn the CDs.

Problem 1: Trying to burn the CDs from the first test candidate
installation, using nautilus-cd-burner. I inserted a blank disc and got
the burn:/// window up. I then closed it and using nautilus, I right
clicked and tried to burn the iso to disk. I kept getting a dialog popup
box asking me to insert a disk. I tried on both, the CD burner and on my
DVD burner. I got the same results using both drives.

Problem 2: I then tried using xcdroast to burn the CD. I ended up
getting the attached error. (bombed-cd...)

Solution 1: Using k3b, I was able to burn a boot.iso from the listed
above directory. I then proceeded to install via hard disk. (IDE).

-----------------
Next problem trying GUI installation. The screen froze at a blank
screen. I could not switch to terminal and pressing ctl-sysreq-r did
nothing. I then hard reset and entered linux text. The installation
through text mode proceeded normally.

---------------------
To my surprise, X worked when booted up from runlevel 3. There was no
refresh problem as of yet.

Also, on this upgrade, I don't have the one NIC not getting an inet
address. Both interfaces have adresses after 5 minutes. I reference this
for a distinction between an upgrade from FC2 being alright on my
computer and the clean install not keeping an address on the eth0
interface for very long.

I'm glad to have the interfaces up, no X refresh problem and gqview
still available.

I'll have to check the orphaned program count a little later.

-------

About the idedisk and usbdisk mount icons on the desktop. I love this
feature. I do wish that they could be customized with alias names. This
would let the user know which volume is which. I think that you could
customize them post install and take out the kudzu parameter
post-install. Having the ability to customize the name of mounts asa
normal user might be obtainable by adding some customizable
.mountnamepref directory or file within each home directory. Overall, a
great feature!

I'll check for bugs related to the nautilus-cd-burner and xcdroast
problems, after I test these programs on this upgraded system.

Jim