NTFS module

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Sep 10 05:07:15 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 07:07:30PM -0500, Jason Dravet wrote:

> I was able to just compile the NTFS module and load it myself.  I changed
> the .config to include ntfs as a module, then I used the make modules
> SUBDIRS=fs/ntfs command and it compiled the module, I made a directory for
> the ko and copied it there, did a depmod -a and then I could mount my ntfs
> partition.  The kernel changed from using SUBDIRS= to O= and this broke.

What broke?  'SUBDIRS=' is still supported, although you can use 'M='
as well, and 'O=' means something else.  Check Makefile on the top
level.

> So how can I compile just the NTFS module without recompiling the
> whole kernel?

The same as before.  Make sure that EXTRAVERSION is set correctly
for a kernel you want that module and do such manipulations on
a copy of your source tree.

   Michal