Crazy question regarding refresh and X

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 11 23:05:45 UTC 2004

Mike Klinke wrote:
> On Saturday 11 September 2004 16:24, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>I am puzzled why I have a system that is upgraded from an
>>installation dated jan 2004 and X not having the refresh problem
>>exhibited on the freshly installed system.
>>

> Jim,
>
> I note that one has default depth=24 and the other default depth=16.
> On my laptop when I have the gnome properties for the
> display="millions of colors" which I'm guessing is GUI-speak for 24
> bit depth my i815 will not go into Direct Rendering Mode ("glxinfo"
> shows "DRI=no") but when it's set to display="thousands of colors"
> (16 bit depth) "glxinfo" shows that "DRI=yes".  Since your
> configurations are different default depths, is one going into DRI
> and the other not and hence giving you different symptoms?
>
> Regards, Mike Klinke

Thanks for noticing the depth difference. I believe that I set the depth
to 24 on this working, upgraded system manually.

If the problem is dri related and increasing the depth from 16 to 24
stops the refresh errors, a DRI problem isolation should narrow down the
  cause of this error.

I'll change the driver back to the supposed to be installation and
change the depth to 24 on the clean install and add to the report.

I can do without DRI until fixed or keep the older binary and revert to
16 depth.

Jim

--
You will be honored for contributing your time and skill to a worthy cause.