Relationship between /dev and /udev

Andrew cmkrnl at speakeasy.net
Sun Sep 12 18:13:32 UTC 2004

Hi,

Actually David Zeuthen has a lot of good stuff over at freedesktop.org
especially on hal as he is the primary author.
http://freedesktop.org/Software/hal
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.hal  [ for the hal list ]
This is where the hal developers do there thing, a lot of the dev
process patches and so on, but  reading helped me a lot.
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/utopia-list   [ for the utopia list ]

for udev look at
http://webpages.charter.net/decibelshelp/LinuxHelp_UDEVPrimer.html

Hal is great! it is  one of the most important things I have seen to
date (at least since RH 6) in making Linux a really usable desktop.
With utopia (hal dbus and gnome-volume-manager) I can (as a non-admin)
plug in my usb flash drive and it will detect, create a mount point if
needed and mount it and pop window with the contents automatically --
just like other desktop OSes that are very much less than free!  Plus,
you can create policy rules to keep that from happening if you want to,
but at least now it can work without having to either su or sudo!

>Anyway, my little store of knowledge on the subject of /dev (not udev) says
>that you can make device "files" anywhere, not just in /dev, and that you can
>have multiple device files for the same device no problem.  The major and
>minor numbers you give mknod make the file "special" and associated with a
>particular kernel device driver on the kernel side, not that it is in /dev.
>Whether this is useful to unpicking the mysteries I am not sure.

Of course that's true, its just getting the the right stuff in the place
the rest of the sound code is looking for them. (or making it look in
the right places)

Andrew