Obtaining 2.6.8-1.541 source code

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Tue Sep 14 21:00:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 15:47 -0500, Gregory G Carter wrote:
> I am not sure I agree with that notion of non root security locality
> when dealing with OS source code.

I'm not sure of the relevance of this post to the previous, unless I'm
missing something, but I definitely agree that when building rpms, one
should use a non-root account. The primary reason is this: some (many?)
srpms are not spec'd properly and will attempt to alter your actual
system (e.g. install into /usr instead of /tmp/%{buildroot}/usr). If you
are a normal user, this will cause the build process to break and you'll
realize that had you been running as root, the process would appear to
have worked correctly while in fact now it may have installed files you
didn't want to install; or worse (blown away files you desperately need,
etc.).

I don't see any reason to treat the kernel srpm any differently. Once
installed, the binary rpms will be installed as root, along with any
source code/include files that go along with it.