Frustrating update problem

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 19 05:36:56 UTC 2004

Kimmo Koivisto wrote:
> On Saturday 18 September 2004 19:02, Gord McLeod wrote:
>
>>Greetings,
>>
>>Error: missing dep: iiimf-server for pkg iimf-le-sun-asia
>>Error: xorg-x11-font-utils conflicts: xorg-x11-base-fonts<= 6.7.99.903-3
>>
>>Any suggestions on where I might get the needed packages, or even
>>which packages I could safely remove to get rid of this? Or heck, even
>>a command to make yum ignore the set of packages with the dependancy
>>problems and just update everything it CAN update? I'm a good 800+
>>updates behind and would like to catch up.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>

> I have had the same error with xorg-x11-base-fonts and excluded
> xorg-x11-font-utils in yum.conf.
> <yum.conf>
> exclude=xorg-x11-font-utils
> </yum.conf>
>
> Regards
> Kimmo Koivisto

I got this problem when trying to install all of xorg-x11 programs on an
fc2 machine. I then installed FC3T2 RC2 on the computer and updated,
excluding the xorg-x11-font-utils program mentioned.
Then, after installing the other rawhide programs unrelated to xorg, I
ran up2date again and got the xorg-x11-font-utils package without any
problems.

One curiousity was that some of the older version packages that were
from prior xorg packages were never pulled in and must be obsoleted.

Anyway, after upgrading the computer and installing the
xorgx11-font-utils package,no leftover packages are seen when querying
xorg related packages.

Jim

--
Ha.  For once you're both wrong but not where you are thinking.

	- Larry McVoy to Linus Torvalds on linux-kernel