Wireless configuration (bugs?)

Peter pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Tue Sep 21 02:00:50 UTC 2004

Hey,

Am Di, den 21.09.2004 schrieb Carl Gherardi um 3:09:
> I'm playing with wireless on my laptop for the first time and wonder if
> the following is expected behavior.

Maybe not expected, but unfortunately usual for now  :-)  Kudzu will not
properly configure atheros based cards.

> Problem - dhclient decided to nuke:
> a) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (argh I had two network
> setups in there... home and work) even though the card was being
> identified as ath0. This seems wrong.
> b) /etc/resolv.conf - this is more expected, but I had though dhclient
> would leave commented lines alone.
>
> After all that a question - is it possible to have two nics, one using
> dhcp and the other static that does not destroy configs.

Of course it is possible to have more than one nic. At first you should
use system-config-network to (re-)configure your Xircom Card in a proper
way (as eth0). Test it.

Then you shoult:

add in modprobe.conf
   alias ath0 ath_pci
if it isn't already there.

Then you should create in
   /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
a file
   ifcfg-atho

with the following content:
>-----------------------------------------<
# Unknown vendor|Generic ath_pci device
DEVICE=ath0
TYPE=Wireless
ONBOOT=no
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=yes
MODE=Auto
RATE=Auto
CHANNEL=1
ESSID={yourEssId}
DOMAIN=
NETMASK=
HWADDR=
IPADDR=
GATEWAY=

DHCP_HOSTNAME={yourHostname}
IPV6INIT=no
>-----------------------------------------<

you should copy this file into
  /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices
and
  /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default
as well.

If kudzu asks during the next system boot for new hardware,
you should tell it to ignore the event (i.e. to do no
(auto-)configuration and not to ask at next boot time again.

If you start system-config-netword you will find your wireless as an
option.

Peter