Wireless configuration (bugs?)

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at nautronix.com.au
Tue Sep 21 05:41:06 UTC 2004

Comments very much appreciated, and should sort my problem.

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 04:00 +0200, Peter wrote:
> Am Di, den 21.09.2004 schrieb Carl Gherardi um 3:09:
> > Problem - dhclient decided to nuke:
> > a) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (argh I had two network
> > setups in there... home and work) even though the card was being
> > identified as ath0. This seems wrong.
> > b) /etc/resolv.conf - this is more expected, but I had though dhclient
> > would leave commented lines alone.
> >
> > After all that a question - is it possible to have two nics, one using
> > dhcp and the other static that does not destroy configs.
>
> Of course it is possible to have more than one nic.

:)

Should have mentioned that the two nics cant be in my laptop at the same
time, they physically dont fit.

You mentioned kudzu doesn't support aetheros cards, so this explains it
anyway.

> At first you should
> use system-config-network to (re-)configure your Xircom Card in a proper
> way (as eth0). Test it.

A proper way? Do you mean using profiles?

I haven't used it in the past as I usually do a minimal install and add
packages using apt or yum, and that package isn't part of it.

Cheers

Carl Gherardi

Apologies...

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of NAUTRONIX LTD.

If you are not the intended recipient, you have received this email in error and use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error please contact the sender.

Although our computer systems use active virus protection software, and we take various measures to reduce the risk of viruses being transmitted in e-mail messages and attachments sent from this company, we cannot guarantee that such e-mail messages and attachments are free from viruses on receipt.  It is a condition of our using e-mail to correspond with you, that any and all liability on our part arising directly or indirectly out of any virus is excluded.  Please ensure that you run virus checking software on all e-mail messages and attachments before reading them.