FC3t2 on older laptop hardware

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Sep 22 18:43:42 UTC 2004

The good news is that FC3t2 installed without any problems on my
toshiba 4005CDS (circa 1998).  I couldn't get installed using burned
isos although the same ones worked on a desktop.  However after
burning the boot.iso and choosing and ftp install, it all went on down
smooth as silk.

This machine has only 96mb of ram and 233 mhz of cpu..  That is not
enough for FC3t2 in full gui I don't think.  I'm noticing loading the
gnome or kde desktop is really a chore.  Almost feels like I'll see
smoke rising ... it seems to be working so hard.

This machine is a dual booter that has had winxp win2k and win98
installed... now running win2k on the other partition.  What is a
little disconcerting here is that the win2k and winxp when it was
installed showed considerably more pep loading the desktop or the
browser and other heavily gui chores.

I'm a long time linux user and am used to linux being faster than the
`other' os's.   I think we are seeing a sort of bloatation coming on
due to peoples desire for heavily gui stuff.

But then again... At least I'm comfortable at the cmdline so probably
won't use the linux gui unless I really need it.

Its kind of sad though to see the passing of linux the lean mean
fighting machine.  Especially when a full featured microsoft product
is able to out proform a full featured Fedora on lesser hardware.

Just my observation of course, I have'nt bench tested or done any
really scientific comparison, but a huge delay getting logged into X
while the desktop takes form is definitely considerably slower than
the same process on win2k and winxp on this particular machine.

Starting a terminal ... again a major pause.  Browser... even worse.