Bacula dependancy of libc5 --whatprovides no clue

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Sep 23 19:07:23 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 01:20:26PM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> >> No not from `source' but as I said from `*.src.rpm.'
>
> > Eh?  Could you explain that subtle difference?

> My response wasn't supposed to be weird or a wise crack or etc.
> When you said `>> > Are you sure that you build that from sources?'
>
> I thought you must be asking if I had built it like
> ./configure
> make
> make install

So if a driver script in a form of a spec file does that,
or something similar, for you (among various other things, of
course) this is an earth shattering difference?  Well ..., ok.

If you would do 'rpmbuild -ta some_source.tar.gz' would be that
compiling from sources or not?  Yes, you can do that if tar.gz
archive has inside a correct spec file.

The real question was were you linking, directly or indirectly, with
libc5 libraries.  It looks from your description that this did not
happen.

>  rpm -Uvh bacula-client-1.34.6-1.i38
>  6.rpm
>  error: Failed dependencies:
>         bacula-client conflicts with bacula-mysql-1.34.6-1

Well, apparently you can have one or another.  Quite possibly
they do the same thing by slightly different means.  There
are probably some docs which come with all that stuff.  But
if its spec file still references libc5 that would indicate that
this project was abandoned many years ago (which does not mean
that the program is necessarily not working).

   Michal