boot problems

Florian Idelberger florian at ipes-ent.com
Fri Sep 24 09:15:41 UTC 2004

Dear Fedora List-Members,
during my tryout I experienced a couple of problems (upgrading from fc 2).
First, I chose "upgrade existing boot-manager", but after the
installation only my windows install was listed by grub.
So I booted into rescue, chrooted and created an entry in grub.conf
which at least showed up.
It something like: title FedoraFC3Test2
                                          root (hd0,1)
                                           kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-1.541
                                           initrd
/boot/initrd-2.6.8-1.541.img

Linux resides on /dev/hda2, so I think the partitition is specified the
right way, this being confirmed by a try to boot.
When trying to boot at first everything seems fine, the kernel is found
and starts booting. Then when the mounting and udev part comes, somehow
the root filesystem can't get mounted, and I get a kernel panic like:
"Kernel Panic! Tried to kill init!"
Any suggestions? Every Previous version of Fedora installed just fine.
(at least they all booted into graphical mode)
Thx in advance, Florian