FC3 Test 2 on external USB hard drive.

Marco De Lellis marco.delellis1 at virgilio.it
Mon Sep 27 15:45:08 UTC 2004

I am having trouble with installation of FC3T2 onto an external USB
drive. I did it successfully with FC2 following the directions I found
at http://www.simonf.com/usb.
The trick was modify the initrd.img, adding the modules usbcore.ko,
sd_mod.ki, scsi_mod.ko, ehci-hcd; then a few lines added to linuxrc etc.
etc. A bit of work with a successful end.

Now FC3T2: the initrd.img is now made with cpio instead of an image
generated with dd and mke2fs... Anyway I made the image initrd with all
the modules (except usbcore.ko, which I suppose is linked statically to
te kernel), and I followed the same schema of the link above. The result
is this: kernel panic, VFS: unable to mount root on unknown...

The question is: that method is not valid for FC3? There is something I
missed?
Very grateful for any educative help.

Marco