Connect by ssh only as root

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Sep 29 17:44:36 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 29.09.2004 schrieb Alor um 19:13:

> > How is that a topic for the test list? From OpenSSH version numbers I do
> > not see any Fedora Core test release involved.
>
> I`m testing FC3 test2 but client machine on FC1.

FC3t2 has openssh-server-3.9p1-3.i386.rpm, not version 3.6.1p2. So its
hardly an FC3t2 machine your are connecting. The string from debug mode
matches an FC2. Else it should have appeared

debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version
OpenSSH_3.9p1
debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.9p1 pat OpenSSH*

> It had been OK as I uncommented next lines in /etc/sshd_config :
>
> HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key

You better want to avoid SSH protocol version 1 for security reasons.

> HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key

I wonder, because those are default settings, active regardless they are
commented. See the comment in the sshd_config itself:

# The strategy used for options in the default sshd_config shipped with
# OpenSSH is to specify options with their default value where
# possible, but leave them commented.  Uncommented options change a
# default value.

> Alor.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 19:37:43 up 52 min, 14 average: 0.68, 0.84, 0.77