flac, gstreamer-plugins, etc.

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Fri Apr 8 18:51:26 UTC 2005

On Thursday 07 April 2005 21:13, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2005 6:36 PM, Gene C. <czar at czarc.net> wrote:
> > but I get:
> > Error: Unable to satisfy dependencies
> > Error: Package gstreamer-plugins needs libFLAC.so.4, this is not
> > available. Error: Package gstreamer-plugins needs libmusicbrainz.so.2,
> > this is not available.
> > It appears (to me) that gstreamer-plugins has not been rebuilt for the
> > current/updated libraries.
>
> Uhm... are you sure you aren't reading that error message wrong?  I
> think the error message yum is throwing for you is from the version of
> gstreamer-plugins you have installed.. and not the version sitting in
> the develop tree.
>
> On my x86 system.. i have the latest gstreamer-plugin installed
> without a problem.
> rpm  -q gstreamer-plugins
> gstreamer-plugins-0.8.8-5
> rpm  -q --requires gstreamer-plugins|grep FLAC
> libFLAC.so.7
> rpm  -q --requires gstreamer-plugins|grep brainz
> libmusicbrainz >= 2.1.1
> libmusicbrainz.so.4
>
> My system is synced with rawhide with no packages left that need updating.
>
> > Any hints as to what is going on?
>
> Potentially an x86_64 multilib issue?  Do you have both the 32 bit and
> 64bit versions of gstreamer-plugins installed?

OK, you message has led me to the solution ...

1. This is an x86_64 system which I had done a BASE FC4T1 everything install
and then updated from development.

2. Some packages have both i386 (i686) and x86_64 architectures installed.

3. As development gets updated, some packages are delete which can cause bad
dependencies ... and that is the case:

Both the i386 and x86_64 architectures for gstreamer-plugins were originally
installed as well as both architectures of totem.  Deleting
gstremer-plugins.i386 also deleted totem.i386 and then I could do the
updates.

I suspected that the problem was something like this but needed your
inspiration to point me in the right direction.
--
Thanks,  Gene