Is it possible to make Fedora load faster?

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Mon Apr 4 08:08:49 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 19:44 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 07:45:37PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > Furthermore and more important imho: these cron jobs should not run when
> > you are working with you notebook on battery (iirc they currently still
> > do -- correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> Correct. As do screensavers and other apps. This is one ubuntu does appear to
> have fixed.

in theory we have that too. Except the "are we on battery" tests in the
distro still assume APM and since we enabled ACPI this no longer works.

we very much need a generic "am I on battery" app that internally can
cope with both apm, acpi and any other thing other platforms might use,
while giving a unified answer to the rest of the world.

This is a case where the kernel should have provided an abstraction of
the hardware, but didn't, and it's now mostly too late to fix that ;(