Unable to install macromedia flash player on x86_64 arch

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Mon Apr 4 21:31:18 UTC 2005

man, 04.04.2005 kl. 23.13 skrev Jeff Spaleta:
> On Apr 4, 2005 4:50 PM, Kyrre Ness Sjobak <kyrre at solution-forge.net> wrote:
> > Yes, but still... It isn't much use to get the users (who often wants to
> > use the distro as a platform) into unnecessary trouble - at least as
> > long as there isn't any real benefit of running Firefox in 64 bit
> > mode...
> Shall we take your logic to its absurd conclusion.
>
> If there are no 64bit browsers in use... there will never be enough
> demand for macromedia to release a 64bit flash program .. if there is
> no 64bit flash program there will be no demand for 64bit browsers...if
> there is no 64bit browsers in use..
> on and on we go. Its a chicken and egg problem.  As long as users are
> too chicken, macromedia gets to keep its precious proprietary egg.

Agreed. That is a problem. But if Windows is going to take the hit
anyway, why not let'em ?

> > Which would scare (new) users into thinking "Linux isn't userfriendly",
> > choose not to learn it (scared of at early stage), tell others this, and
> > choose non-Linux solutions over Linux ones - which may in turn be bad
> > for future RH revenue.
>
> Right...choosing non-linux 64bit solutions over 64bit linux. Remind me
> again... what are the 64bit non-linux solutions for PC hardware right
> now? Isn't windows 64bit xp still in some sort of beta phase?
> New users.. running amd 64bit hardware (thats what we are talking
> about really arent we).. can just as easily choose 32bit fedora core..
> and avoid this sort of crap completely.  Or.. they can wait till MS
> 64bit XP lands and macromedia finally feels significant market
> pressure to get off their asses and build a 64bit versions of their
> plugins.  In the meantime we can all hope and pray that svg magically
> matures and someone crafts professional development tools for it to
> challenge macromedia in the marketplace and we a no longer held
> hostage by macromedia to get our required dosage of pointless
> interactive web experience.

Have you ever trying to convince a newb. into using a 32-bit distro
*because it's often simpler*? Not? Can i give him your email next time
it happens? :)

While talking about pointless: What is the point of having the browser
64-bit?

Kyrre "its pointless and its pointless... Hmm.. is there a point?"
Sjøbæk